ORIGIN AND DEVELOPMENT
The Central Library was started in the academic year 2000-2001 with 750 books. Every year more than 1500 books are added to Library. Our college is building up a well equipped central Library accommodated in a two tiered separate wing in the first floor of arts block. It has a free internet, plagiarism checking, soft & hard copy and more facilities. The Library has rich volumes with 23,563 text and reference books, 47 journals, 55 magazines, 3,471 projects / Theses and 1,456 e-resources (like CDs/DVDs …). More than 150 members visited our central Library per day.
BOOK BANK :
The Book Bank scheme was started in September-2005 to reduce the financial strains of the poor students. There are 1,010 books under various titles in the Book Bank.
For fast and reliable Library services (like circulation service, OPAC service etc), we have implemented Library software (named Lips iNet 5.0) from 15th Dec.2007. It has OPAC service and e-gate register.
The Library has introduced the Bar-coding technology for circulation system i.e. Book issue, return and renewal. The staff and students should enroll their staff id/roll number in the E-Gate system while entering the library.
The Central Library has OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) to provide details of its resources. Users can search details about books, periodicals, CDs, question bank, Compliment books, periodical compact disks, floppy disks, and audio cassettes within the Central Library.
INFLIBNET – NLIST
Our Central Library is one of the members of INFLIBNET – NLIST .The INFLIBNET center Ahmadabad provides National Library and Information Services Infrastructure for Scholarly Content (NLIST), to get access for more than 6,000 e-journals and 30,31,000 e-books through the INFLIBNET center server. It is very useful to staff, PG and Research scholars.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Silence should be strictly observed in the library.
- Staff and Students are required to leave their belongings within the allotted place.
- The students should return their books in person.
- All the books must be returned on or before the due date.
- Books returned after the due date will be charged Rs. 1/- per day.
- Books due on a holiday can be returned on the next morning without fine.
- The Readers are responsible for the books borrowed by him/her.
- Tampering, writing or making any marks on any book are forbidden.
- The returned books shall not be reissued to the same person on the same day of return.
- If the members have lost any book it must be replaced with the latest edition along with the overdue charges. Double the cost of the book will be collected if the lost book is not replaced.
- The UG and the PG students are allowed to retain the books for 15 days and 20 days respectively; The M.Phil scholars are allowed to retain the books for 30 days.
- Our Central Library will not lend journals, reference books, and CDs on any way.
- Open access system is followed in the Central Library.
LIBRARY WORKING HOURS
- on working days : 9.00am to 6.00pm
- on holidays : 6.30am to 4.30pm
LIBRARIAN : Mr. S. SATHYENDRAN, M.Sc, B.Ed, M.L.I.Sc, M.Phil, DNCC
LIBRARY ASSISTANT : Mr.S. VINAYAGA POOMALAI, M.Sc
|No. of Journals||47|
|No. of Magazines||55|
|Journals Back volumes||3,536|
(CDs / DVDs, Audio cassettes & floppies …)
|Projects & Theses||3,471|
|Bound Back volumes||385|
|No of Newspapers||11|
Six Tamil and five English Newspapers are subscribed to the Central Library.
- Daily Thanthi
- Dina Mani
- Dina Malar
- Kaalai Kathir
- The Hindu – Tamil
- The Hindu
- The Times of India
- The New Indian Express
- The Deccan Chronicle
- The Business Line
LIBRARY BOOKS STATISTICS
|Selvamm Arts & Science College – Namakkal|
|Dept.wise Books Statistics|
|10||ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION||1,100|