The Central Library was installed in the academic year 2000-2001 with 750 books. The Library is situated in the first floor of Arts Block with a separate two tiered separate wing. All Books are stocked in upper berth. The lower berth is meant for reading and reference purpose.
Presently, it accommodates 18,909 books for the benefit of the staff and students. There are 45 journals and 55 magazines in this Central Library. For fast and reliable Library services (like circulation service, OPAC service etc), we have implemented Library software named Lips iNet 5.0.
The Library has introduced the Bar-coding technology for circulation system i.e. Book issue, return and renewal. It has OPAC service and e-gate register. The staff and students should enroll their staff id/roll number in the E-Gate system while entering the library.
The Central Library has OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) to provide details of its resources. Users can search details about books, periodicals, CDs, question bank, Compliment books, periodical compact disks, floppy disks, and audio cassettes within the Central Library.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Silence should be strictly observed in the library.
- Staff and Students are required to leave their belongings within the allotted place.
- The students should return their books in person.
- All the books must be returned on or before the due date.
- Books returned after the due date will be charged Rs. 1/- per day.
- Books due on a holiday can be returned on the next morning without fine.
- The Readers are responsible for the books borrowed by him/her.
- Tampering, writing or making any marks on any book are forbidden.
- The returned books shall not be reissued to the same person on the same day of return.
- If the members have lost any book it must be replaced with the latest edition along with the overdue charges. Double the cost of the book will be collected if the lost book is not replaced.
- The UG and the PG students are allowed to retain the books for 13 days and 18 days respectively; The M.Phil scholars are allowed to retain the books for 20 days.
- Our Central Library will not lend journals, reference books, and CDs on any way.
- Open access system is followed in the Central Library.
LIBRARY WORKING HOURS
- on working days : 00am to 6.00pm
- on holidays : 30am to 4.30pm
Librarian : Mr. S.Sathyendran M.Sc, B.Ed, M.L.I.Sc, M.Phil, DNCC
Assistant Librarian : Mr. S.Karthikeyan BE, B.L.I.S
LIBRARY COLLECTIONS (as in May – 2017)
|v Central Library||18,909|
|v Book Bank||1,010|
|No. of Journals||45|
|No. of Magazines||55|
|Jour. Back volumes||2,880|
(CDs / DVDs, Audio cassettes & floppies …)
|Projects & Theses||2,984|
|Bound Back volumes||385|
|No of Newspapers||11|
Library Books statistics (as in May 2017):
|Selvamm Arts & Science College – Namakkal|
|Dept. wise Books|
|9||ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION||875|
|12||MATHS AND STATISTICS||1,676|
Six Tamil and five English Newspapers subscribed to the Central Library are
- Daily Thanthi
- Dina Mani
- Dina Malar
- Kaalai Kathir
- The Hindu – Tamil
- The Hindu
- The Times of India
- The New Indian Express
- The Deccan Chronicle
- The Business Line
SECTIONS OF CENTRAL LIBRARY
All Books are stocked in upper berth. Here open access system is followed and the books are arranged according to the Department and title wise. This enables the students to get access to the books easily.
A Separate section is available for Reference books in the Central Library. It contains more than 1000 reference books from all departments. Encyclopedias, Dictionaries are also available in reference section.
Competitive Exams books Section
A Separate section is available for Competitive Exams books in the Central Library. General knowledge books, Yearbooks, UPSC, TNPSC, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, CAT, GATE and all Entrance examination books are available in this section.
Library provides reprographic service to the users at a nominal cost. This service is helpful to the students for preparing their paper presentations, projects etc.
New Arrival Section
In the New Arrivals section, one copy of the new titles and new editions are displayed for one month to attract the students and staff members for using the Library effectively.
Back Volumes Section
In this section, the back volumes of journals and magazines are available for reference to the staff and students.
Journals and Periodicals have a separate section in the library. In this section, technical Journals and Magazines of National and International level from various departments are displayed.
Question Bank Section
The University and Autonomous Question papers in the form of bounded volumes are available in this section. e format of the Autonomous questions papers are also available.
Book Bank Scheme:
The Book Bank scheme was started in September-2005 to reduce the financial strains of the poor students. There are 964 books on various titles in the Book Bank. Students who are economically disadvantaged can avail this opportunity and they have to return their books after completing their semester examinations.
INFLIBNET – NLIST
Our Central Library is one of the members of INFLIBNET – NLIST .The INFLIBNET center Ahmadabad provides National Library and Information Services Infrastructure for Scholarly Content (NLIST), to get access for more than 8,100 e-journals and 30,31,000 e-books through the INFLIBNET center server. It is very useful to PG and Research scholars.