Training and Placement
The specific objectives of Career and Counseling cum Placement Cell are to:
- Create awareness among students regarding available career options and help them in identifying their career objectives.
- Guide the students in developing skills and job-search strategies required to achieve their career objectives.
- Identify suitable potential employers and help them achieve their hiring goals.
- Organize activities concerning career planning.
- Act as a bridge between students, alumni and employers.
- Take feedback from industry and provide inputs for curriculum.
- Total quality Placement
- Offering specially designed courses to enhance communication skills and prepare to face the interviews
- Regular Industrial visit and In plant training to the Collaborative Industries.
- MoU with leading institutions and industries.
- Students are given personalized attention.
- ISO certified institutions
- Regular Guest lectures
- Faculty members are encouraged to do higher studies.
This college has a specialty in imparting Soft Skills as a value addition to Arts and Science students so that their scope of employability values is enhanced in the job market. A soft skills expert is under the payrolls as a full time trainer to inculcate soft skills like personality development, communication skills, team work and team building, leadership skills, Maintaining Positive Attitude etc.
Quite often students are trained and exposed to interview performance skills. Group discussions and mock interviews are carried out here as regular practice taking students towards perfection on campus interviews on a continuous basis. Organizing and coordinating campus interviews for final year students. Language learning programmes to train students in developing their communication skills.
Placement Cell is formed in our College with the noble idea of honing the skills of the students and to facilitate Campus placements. As part of our efforts to improve soft skills of our students, our college entered into an agreement with Institute of Language Management (ILM), Bangalore.
On 20th June 2012, ILM was introduced in our College. Initially ILM was offered only to the UG students and later it was extended to PG classes also. Each student was given a work book by ILM to improve their language skills. All the students are provided 2 hours of training in Communicative English every week throughout the year.
We had 4 ILM faculty members in our Selvamm Arts & Science College for this academic year and they covered the entire student population. Also, all the faculty members of our college got the benefit of ILM training every month during CIA Tests.
From 1st August 2012 to 4th August 2012 during the CIA Test-I, our faculty members were introduced to the Importance of English in the present world followed by several thought provoking activities to develop their skills.
During the CIA Test-II from 13th to 15th September 2012, again the faculty members were introduced to basic sentence patterns and other parts of speech in English Grammar.
But, during the CIA Exam from 15th to 19th October 2012, a thorough basic English training was provided to all the Faculty members made it a successful one.
Follow up training in Communicative English was provided from 21st to 29th January 2013 which focused mainly on Communication than on Grammar.
Besides students, the overwhelming response from the Faculty members made the implementation of ILM courses a sought after one.
“THE HINDU” is kind enough to offer a concession for students and placement call distributes more than 300 papers everyday to students to make them more knowledge in current affairs.
Also, Placement Cell assists the students in procuring their Voter ID, Driving License and PAN cards and so far 75 students have obtained their Driving License and 35 students have got their PAN cards through Placement Cell.
- On 21st September 2012, TCS BPO conducted an OFF Campus Recruitment drive at Vivekananda College of Arts & Sciences for Women, Tiruchengode. 3 students participated in the interview and one was placed by TCS.
- Four members of our Faculty attended a Seminar on “Placement Training and Career Counseling” conducted by Periyar University in the month of December 2012.
- On 8th January 2013, CTS conducted an OFF Campus Recruitment Drive in Paavai Institutions. Around 40 students attended. The results are awaited.
- On 10th January 2013, VEE Technologies conducted a Recruitment drive in our college. More than 150 students participated and 20 students got placement in the company.
- On 9th February 2013, “Job Fair” at Pachaiyappa’s College, Chennai. 10 students participated in the interview and the results are awaited.
- On 11th February 2013, MITHARG & Sea Rock, ITES Companies conducted Campus interview and Out of 80 students 5 are placed in MITHARG.
- On 21st February 2013, Reliance HR Services conducted ON Campus placement drive in our college in which 25 students attended and 5 of our students are placed in that company.
- On 23rd & 24th February 2013, “JOB BAZAAR” at King College of Technology was attended by 15 students and 2 students were offered placement by Reliance Capital & Reliance HR Services.
- On 28th February 2013, KOCHAR Tech conducted the Campus Drive in our college, Out of 105 students who attended the interview 13 got placement.
- On 1st March 2013, WIPRO conducted Recruitment drive for Computer Science /Computer Application students at Paavai College of Arts & Science. More than 70 students participated. The results are awaited.
Several On and Off Campus placement drives are in offing and many important companies like TCS, ICICI, Dell Services, Blue Lotus, Vol Tech, Reliance Capital, Accenture, HP, HCL, Muthoot Fincorp are keen to conduct interviews.
An awareness seminar was organized by Placement Cell and conducted by Mr.Kalaiarasan IAS Academy, Chennai on 25th February 2013, to increase the awareness of students regarding various competitive exams and how to approach them. All the PG and final year UG students benefited from the seminar.
This year we have seen a surge in participation from our students and we are confident that many more will get their placements before they complete their courses.